August 03, 2009

Funny Find...

All the taste testing aside for a day, I am sitting in my room.
Minding my own business,
listening to all the enya on my computer in repeat mode,
and what pops up on the main page of etsy,
(I know this isnt a proper sentence because its too long but BAH)
nothing of mine no,
but something way funnier than mine,
and I have to apologize in advance because Im not trying to insult the work or the artist,
it is a nice little small needlepoint.

Cute little thing isn't it? I actually love the rain drops but I have an issue with the wording and I will tell you why... but first here is the description:

Ahhh, the exquisite pain of this world. Hand embroidered 6" black embroidery loop, black thread stitched onto recycled white cotton fabric with black felt tear drop appliques. Added on May 20, 2009

Now, judging from the rain drops.. which I am assuming are tear drops from the description.. and including the description this little needle point which isn't exactly a needle point because I just read that the tear drops are appliques.. has the words "le pain" written on it.

Now clearly this piece is pulling towards being emo but we are not here to talk about peoples lifestyle choices no. We are talking about this because it says "le pain"

Now I can tell you from my 12 years of french that as soon as you take an English word and place it with a french preposition it changes the words meaning. A fair few words in English and words in french are the same but a fair few words in french mean something completely different in English. And let me tell you that "pain" in french is not heart wrenching pain no.
In fact by adding that preposition "le" it has gone from being heartbroken to being "le pain" meaning bread.... Which made me kind of laugh because not everyone speaks french and that's fine but I don't think that this person is aware of the error... or maybe it wasn't an error.
I just thought that a little needle point trying to express pain with tear/rain drops was slightly more funnier when it says "bread"

-Miss.A

No comments:

Post a Comment