June 24, 2009

Todays... ummm Tuesday/Wednesday

So nothing really exciting happened this past week except for a few more etchings really.

Got a few more in the mini series completed and now I'm moving onto a new project for my Grandmother. One of the dogs she dogs sits on a ongoing occasion had to get put down last week and so she has asked me to do a memorial etching. The dog is a Russian Police Dog that was first created or I suppose bred just after world war two I believe. Here's a tid bit from Wikipedia:

The Black Russian Terrier was developed in the former USSR by the state for use as a military/working dogs. The breeding stock was largely imported from the occupied countries, especially East Germany. Breeds used in the development include the Airedale Terrier, Caucasian Ovcharka, Newfoundland, Giant and Standard Schnauzers and the now extinct Moscow Water Dog. It was bred for working ability, rather than appearance, and early examples only resembled today's Black Russian Terrier in their build and coat type. It was bred solely by the state owned Red Star Kennel until 1957, when some puppies were sold to civilian breeders. These breeders began to breed for looks (as the original was rather plain) while retaining working ability.

In time, the breed spread to the Balkans, Ukraine, and Siberia, and later to Finland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, and the United States.

The breed was recognized by the FCI in 1984. On July 1, 2004, it was recognized by the American Kennel Club in the working group.

So never the less I have this project on my hands. I have picked out a nice tile that I feel will be able to handle the etching nicely and have begun sifting through my pictures of the dog to see which one would look best as a stencil. I have already converted most of them to stencil images and right now have widdled the selection down to just a fair few. I can only hope that this turns out the right way because if it doesnt then that isnt too too good is it.

In the end - if it isnt good enough for me - that I wont give it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment